|Skip navigation elements to page contents
Job Opening Details
|Job Opening Description:|
|Educational Interpreter III - Honolulu District, Oahu|
|Job Opening Status:|
|Job Opening Begin Date:|
|Job Opening End Date:|
|Educational Interpreter III (SR16)|
|Job Category Description:|
|OSSS-SSB-Student Support Section (032)|
|Bargaining Unit :|
|White Collar, Non-Supv - 03|
- Amended 1-3-19: Monthly Salary
- EDUCATIONAL INTERPRETER III
$3,447.00 per month (SR-16)
A Shortage Differential of $161.00 will be added to the base salary, contingent upon funding.
- Facilitates communication between deaf, hard-of-hearing and hearing students and staff, by providing educational interpreting support services for academic and/or extracurricular activities involving precision interpreting of a highly complex nature; assist administration personnel in providing proficient sign language in daily activities, various meetings, and in crisis/emergency situations; may be assigned to schedule, plan and coordinate interpreter services for students; performs related duties as assigned.
Office of Student Support Services
- Minimum Qualification Requirements:
Applicants must meet the requirements as of the date of application, unless otherwise specified. Unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently.
Note: Calculation of experience is based on full-time, 40-hour workweeks. Part-time experience is pro-rated. Example: Twelve months of experience at 20 hours/week is equivalent to six months of experience, not one year. Also, hours worked in excess of 40 hours/week will not be credited. Example: Twelve months of experience at 60 hours/week is equivalent to one year of experience, not one and a half years.
Applicants must possess ALL of the following:
- Graduation from high school or equivalent;
- 48 semester credits, baccalaureate level courses, from an accredited institution of higher education recognized by the Hawaii Department of Education. The forty-eight (48) credits may be from various program or academic subject areas. In addition, of the 48 credits from baccalaureate level courses, 3 must have been for math and 3 for English courses; AND (either concurrently or separately),
- Successful completion of an Educational Interpreter training program, e.g., Associate of Science (A.S.) or Associate of Arts (A.A.) from an accredited institution recognized by the Hawaii Department of Education with specialization in Educational Interpreting or equivalent.
General Experience Requirement:
One (1) year** of progressively responsible work experience in the application of interpreting/transliterating services to people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
Specialized Experience Requirement:
Three (3) years** of progressively responsible work experience in the application of interpreting/transliterating services to people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing in an educational setting.
**A school year of approximately 180 "teacher duty" days, or approximately 38 weeks per year, is considered equivalent to one (1) year of required work experience.
Applicants must possess ONE of the following certifications:
- Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) level 4.0 or higher;
- Hawaii Quality Assurance System (HQAS) Interpreter Classification 4 certificate (or higher); or
- National Interpreter Certification, e.g., Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID).
Applicants must possess a valid license to drive in the State of Hawaii.
- Successful completion of the ParaPro Assessment with a minimum score of 459 provided by the Education Testing Service (ETS) may be substituted for the 48 semester credits in the described Education Requirement.
- Successful completion of an ASL/Interpreting Program leading to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of General and one (1) year of Specialized Experience.
- Successful completion of an ASL/Interpreting Program leading to a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the General and Specialized Experience requirements.
- All documents submitted to us become the property of the Department of Education.